WHEATGRASS AT BROW FARM
How We Now Grow Wheatgrass at Brow Farm
The 10 easy steps for growing your own Wheatgrass are:
Please read both sides of this information sheet before you get under way.
Take 250g of the wheatgrass seeds (250g is for one tray) then soak it in water and leave for up to 24 hours. (That means put the seeds in a container and fill it with the water till the seeds are all covered)
After soaking the seeds drain off the water and rinse them under cold water. Now let the seeds drain (you could use a jar with holes made in the lid, then turn the jar upside down to let any water drain out) repeat the rinse and drain twice a day for about 3 days, (or till you see small white shoots on the seeds about 2mm long (This is called pre sprouting)
Take our organic wheatgrass grade growing compost (soil) and place in the reusable wheatgrass growing trays. The soil/peat moss mix should be 1 inch (25mm) deep or about 1 litre by volume. Now press it down using one of the other trays.
Take the wheatgrass you have pre sprouted. Sprinkle them all of them on the compost in the tray until the soil is covered with all of the 250g of seeds. Then take one of the other empty trays and place on top of the seeds. Water into the empty tray this will stop the seeds from moving around. Pour 2 litres of water into the empty tray. This will soak the soil and the rest will drain from the holes in the bottom of the tray. Leave the top tray on the seeds this helps keep them damp and in the dark. Keep the seeds at room temperature and out of direct sunlight. You can water if soil starts to dry.
About 3 days after sowing you should see the top tray start to lift up. Let the wheatgrass shoots grow about 1/4 inch then remove the top tray and place the tray in daylight. Water young plants has they need it. When the shoots are about 2 inches tall (50mm) stop watering over the top of the tray. Just let the water run in round the edge of the tray. So keeping the wheatgrass roots damp but not wetting the green shoots. (This also helps control mould) You can water every day as water will run out of the tray drain holes.
You should place the Wheatgrass in direct sunlight as it is the sun that wheatgrass gets a lot of it’s goodness from, but you must remember that on hot days the sun can cause drying out of the soil which inhibits growth.
It is vital to keep the soil moist whilst the wheatgrass is growing so the trays should be watered every day in summer. This may not be the case in winter or on dull days. So it is best to lift one corner of the wheatgrass from the tray so you can see the layer of soil that it is growing in. If this is dark and moist then it does not need watering, If how ever the soil looks light in colour then it is to dry. The trays do have drain holes in them to stop the wheatgrass from water logging but try not to over water all the same.
Harvesting times can be increased/decreased by changing the temperature and in your growing micro-climate. 60-65 F is a widely accepted temperature for growing wheatgrass in. If the temperature is too hot or the air is too humid then mould formation can occur. Some people are allergic to mould and it is also bad news for people who suffer from asthma. If mould does form in your wheatgrass then trim the wheatgrass well above the mould to avoid ingesting the mould. We have found that lack of that air flow can be a problem when it comes to mould in your wheatgrass. Still air is a problem in many homes. Good air movment is not only good for growing healthy wheatgrass but also good for you and your home. This is one reason it is a good idea to put your trays outside in the day when in weather is mild. Then bring it in again as the day starts to cool.
Keep the trays in sunlight for about 10 to 14 days and continue watering as needed. Keeping them moist but not soaked. The tray should be kept at room temperature until the wheatgrass is tall enough to juice at about 6-8 inches high. The trays can be moved outside as the days become warmer. This can make it easier watering.
Cut off the wheatgrass, as you need it for juicing every day. You will need to keep watering the remaining wheatgrass until the tray is used up.
Start new trays at regular intervals. Our wheatgrass seeds will grow in your house all through the winter so you will have fresh wheatgrass all year round.
Always rinse the wheatgrass under water before you juice it. Not only does this clean your grass but it helps with juicing if the grass is damp.
The growing instructions on this sheet can also be used for Barleygrass and Oatgrass.
The seeds should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place.
Has with growing anything the environment you grow in may differ from that of ours. For this reason you may improve the growing of your greens by trying new things as we are always doing ourselves.
If you have any problems you can email us any time at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help in any way we can.
Other useful details about wheatgrass
Whether you buy or grow your own trays of wheatgrass, if you don’t use the grass fast enough it begins to turn yellow and wilt (because it has used all the food in the seed & compost.) So here is a good solution as it begins to tinge yellow, cut all the rest of the grass when the shoots are dry and put it in a plastic bag not sealed then place in your refrigerator. Only wash it as you want to juice it. The grass will last for about one week after it is cut.
In the spring, summer and autumn wheatgrass can be grown outside and watered with a garden hose.
It truly doesn’t take a lot of time or effort to grow. It isn’t like real gardening where you have to watch out for diseases and insects. Mould is your only foe and a little mould won’t ruin your harvest. You can cut down on mould by not wetting the green shoots. When you water it try to pour it down the side of your tray so you only wet the soil (If you do get mould just cut above it). Always wash your wheatgrass before you juice it this seems to help with juicing also.
We hope you enjoy growing wheatgrass. Many people who are into growing things love to grow wheatgrass and some of the other juicing grass’s we sell on our site and we are glad to welcome you to this ever-growing group of people.
If you are having any problems with growing wheatgrass please contact us and we’ll do are best to help.
You can re-order wheatgrass seed, other juicing seeds, compost, trays, juicers and pre grown wheatgrass in trays or ready cut in bags at: –
Brow Farm Ltd,
Tel: 07976 563230
This email contains proprietary information some of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an error has misdirected this email, please notify the sender by reply email. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email. BEWARE: Viruses can be passed on via email. The recipient of this email should check any attachments for viruses to ensure their computers are not infected. Brow Farm Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses spread from our computers.
Imagine a food that actually contains nearly every known mineral, very high amounts of essential amino acids, vitamins and enzymes and can protect us from carcinogens like no other food or medicine can. A food that strengthens our cells, detoxifies the liver, bloodstream, and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants. Imagine all this and then consider that this food can easily be grown on your window sill, patio, in your green house or in your garden at almost negligible cost. This is the legacy of wheatgrass a green super food brought to prominence in the last century.
What you just read above is all fact it’s not something we came up with to make you buy our seeds or ready grown wheatgrass greens. It’s what many people have found from using and testing wheatgrass over many years. We’ve put lots of information all over the site much of it is what other people have said and written about wheatgrass.
How We Started Growing Wheatgrass
We at Brow Farm have been growing wheat and wheatgrass for many years. When we first started growing wheatgrass we did not grow it to sell it! and it was lucky we didn’t because it took us more that one season of growing to learn the basics about growing wheatgrass on a larger scale and not just two trays in the kitchen window. (Which by the way was how we first started) The first thing we found out was if you had a problem and your trays went wrong as they some times did in the window at home. Then at home we only lost 2 trays, but if we had a problem on a larger scale has we did more than once or twice then you stand to loose 200 or more trays! and we have done just this. So you can see why we had to get it right before we could start to sell wheatgrass on a regular basis. Before I go on I’d like to say here that we still get it wrong from time to time. But that’s farming and things don’t always go right which makes it all the nicer when they do. We are always learning and the big thing to remember about wheatgrass is that it will grow without any help from you but you just have to give it what it needs to do this.
KEEPING OUR CUSTOMERS AND WELCOMING NEW ONES.
We now supply many home growers and bussnesses with our wheatgrass seed. Has we now know from talking with our customers, they only come back if they are happy with the product. So we have to make sure that what we sell is the best we can provid. A big plus for the customer is the fact that the seeds you buy from us are the same ones we use here on the farm to grow wheatgrass in trays and for pre cut and bagged wheatgrass.
PRE GROWN WHEATGRASS FOR THE TRADE
We now supply wholesale to Juice Bars, Fittness centers, Health Food Shops, Health Clubs, Coffee Bars, Online Companies, now take our ready grown wheatgrass for reselling to their customers and also a great many customers that juice at home. The juice should be extracted either by chewing or utilizing a slow turning gear juicer. The easy health manual juicer is very good for this purpose. Centrifugal juicers cannot extract juice from the strong fibres of wheatgrass. And their high speeds create heat that would destroy sensitive enzymes. Wheatgrass needs the heavy-duty action of a masticating gear juicer to slowly press the fibres. A daily ‘shot’ of 30ml can be enough for increasing vitality. Some individual practitioners advocate more for heavier detox regimes or for those with healing crises. It’s a good idea to start small and build up to 60 – 120ml of grass juice a day, as you do this watch your energy levels climb.
You can contact us for our prices and terms if you are interested in a regular supply of wheatgrass for your shop or bar.
> DISCLAIMER <
DUE TO THE NATURE OF CONTENTS‘ ALL GOODS MUST BE SIGNED FOR’ & KEPT IN A COOL PLACE’ PLEASE MAKE ALTERNATIVE DELIVERY ARRANGEMENTS WITH A FRIEND OR NEIGHBOUR. WE CANNOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR UNSIGNED RETURNED GOODS. THANK YOU.
Our Fresh naturally grown wheatgrass is delivered direct to your door. You will receive trays from us of fresh growing wheatgrass delivered ready to use. With no mess, just nutritious ready to juice organic wheatgrass greens. (Supplied at 2 different growing stages so the 2nd tray is ready when the you’ve finished the first. If you would rather both trays were at the same growing stage (This would be ideal for 2 people) please let us know when you place your order.
Wheatgrass Range comprises of:
WHEATGRASS, GREENS & OTHER SEEDS THAT CAN BE USED FOR GROWING GREENS FOR JUICING
Wheatgrass, Barleygrass & Oatgrass seed cleaned & graded in 5kg, 10kg, 20kg bags
FREE DELIVERY ON ALL GRAINS & SEEDS
FOR LOTS MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WHEATGRASS CLICK HERE
Please contact us for a quote on wholesale orders
BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON WHEATGRASS
Imagine a food that actually contains nearly every known mineral, very high amounts of essential amino acids, vitamins and enzymes and could protect you from carcinogens like no other food or medicine can. A food that strengthens our cells, detoxifies the liver, bloodstream, and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants. Imagine all this and then consider that this food can easily be grown on your window sill, patio, in your green house or in your garden at almost negligible cost. This is the legacy of wheatgrass a green super food brought to prominence in the last century and chamipioned by many since then. In this article you’ll find lots of amazing facts and highly useful information based on years of research by many people.
The juice should be extracted either by chewing or utilising a slow turning gear juicer. The easy health manual juicer is very good for this purpose. Centrifugal juicers cannot extract juice from the strong fibres of grass. And their high speeds create heat that would destroy sensitive enzymes. Wheatgrass needs the heavy-duty action of a masticating gear juicer to slowly press the fibres. A daily ‘shot’ of 30ml can be enough for increasing vitality. Some individual practitioners advocate more for heavier detox regimes or for those with healing crises. It’s a good idea to start small and build up to 60 – 120ml of grass juice a day, as you do this watch your energy levels climb.
The Benefits of wheat grass (excerpts from “The Wheatgrass Book” by Ann Wigmore)
wheatgrass… Increases red blood cell count, lowers blood pressure…It cleanses the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract of debris. It stimulates metabolism and bodily enzyme systems in enriching the blood by increasing red blood cell count, and in dilating the blood pathways throughout the body, reducing blood pressure.
Stimulates the thyroid, correcting obesity, indigestion, etc. The thyroid gland is also stimulated and normalized by the use of wheat grass juice – an important step toward the correction of obesity, indigestion and a host of other complaints.
Restores alkalinity to the blood…Wheat grass has an alkalising effect on the blood. Its abundance of alkaline minerals helps reduce over acidity in the blood. It can be used to relieve many internal pains. It has been used successfully to treat peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, constipation, diarrhoea, and other complaints of the gastrointestinal tract.
How to drink it…Wheatgrass juice is best taken in small amounts throughout the course of the day, always on an empty or nearly empty stomach. In general, two to four ounces every day or every other day is sufficient. Slowly sipping small quantities of the juice gives your body an opportunity to get used to its taste and effect. Taking one to two-ounce drinks straight or mixed with other juices (fruit & vegetable) and sipping slowly, will help prevent nausea or stomach upset. On a healing regime, Ann suggests you drink one or two oz up to 3 or 4 x a day. And to take one day of rest.
Powerful detoxifier and liver and blood protector…The enzymes and amino acids found in Wheatgrass can protect us from carcinogens like no other food or medicine can. It strengthens our cells, detoxifies the liver, bloodstream, and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants.
Fights tumours and neutralizes toxins….Recent studies show that Wheatgrass juice has a powerful ability to fight tumours without the usual toxicity of drugs that also inhibit cell-destroying agents. The many active compounds found in wheatgrass juice can cleanse the blood and neutralize and digest toxins in our cells.
Whether you have a cut finger you want to heal or you desire to lose five pounds…enzymes must do the actual work. The life and abilities of the enzymes found naturally in our bodies can be extended if we help them from the outside by adding exogenous enzymes, like the ones found in Wheatgrass juice.
Remarkable similarity to our own blood…The 2nd important nutritional aspect of chlorophyll is its remarkable similarity’ to haemoglobin, the compound that carries oxygen in the blood. Dr. Hagiwara a Japanese science and health educator, is a leading advocate for the use of grass as food and medicine. He reasons that since chlorophyll is soluble in fat particles, and since fat particles are absorbed directly in to the blood via the lymphatic system, that chlorophyll can also be absorbed in this way. In other words, when the “blood” of plants is absorbed in humans it is transformed into human blood, which transports nutrients to every cell of the body.
Wheat grass implants reverse damage from inside the lower bowel…In the case of illness, they stimulate a rapid cleansing of the lower bowel and draw out accumulations of debris. Hold for 20 minutes.
Externally eliminates itching almost immediately…Wheat grass juice externally applied to the skin can help eliminate itching almost immediately.
It will soothe sunburned skin…and also acts as a disinfectant. Rubbed into the scalp before a shampoo, it will help mend damaged hair and alleviate itchy, scaly scalp conditions.
Wheat grass juice is soothing and healing for…cuts, burns, scrapes, rashes, poison ivy, athlete’s foot, insect bites, boils, sores , open ulcers, tumours & so on.
As a sleep aid…merely place a tray of living Wheat grass near the head of your bed. It will enhance the oxygen in the air and generate healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly. Use as a poultice and replace every two to four hours.
Add some to your bath water…and settle in for a nice, long soak.
Gargle with wheat grass…to sweeten the breath and firm up and tighten gums.
Don’t cook it…We can only get the benefits of the many enzymes found in grass by eating it uncooked. Cooking destroys 100 percent of the enzymes in food.
Neutralizes toxins…Wheat grass neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury and polyvinyl chloride.
The benefits of a liquid oxygen transfusion…Wheat grass juice contains liquid oxygen. Oxygen is vital to many body processes: it stimulates digestion (the oxidation of food), clearer thinking (the brain utilizes 25 percent of the bodily oxygen supply), and protective oxygenation of the blood (a defence against anaerobic bacteria). Cancer cells cannot exist in the presence of oxygen.
Turns grey hair to its natural colour again, raises energy levels…Daily consumption of Wheat grass and sprouts can turn grey hair to its natural colour again, and give you a limitless energy level.
Beauty treatment that slows down the aging process…Wheat grass will cleanse your blood and help rejuvenate aging cells, slowing the aging process down, way down, making you feel more alive now. It will help tighten loose and sagging skin.
Lessens effect of radiation…One enzyme found in wheat grass, SOD, lessens the effects of radiation and acts as an anti-inflammatory compound that may prevent cellular damage following heart attacks or exposure to irritants.
Restores fertility…Wheat grass restores fertility and promotes youthfulness.
Just soaking in it can double your red blood cell count…Dr. Bernard Jensen, found that none of the blood builders are superior to green juices and wheat grass. In his book Chlorophyll Magic from Living Plant Life, he mentions several cases where he was able to double the red blood cell count in a matter of days merely by having patients soak in a chlorophyll-water bath. Blood building results occur even more rapidly when patients drink green juices and Wheat grass regularly.
Ann Wigmore on her own experience with wheat grass…At fifty years of age my hair was gray, I had a terrible case of colitis and other colon problems, I suffered from low energy and had no clear direction in life. Out of desperation I turned to nature for relief. …In wheat grass, raw foods and exercise, I found what I feel is as close to the fountain of youth as we are going to get. Twenty-five years after my discovery, my hair was turned fully natural brown again. My weight has been a stable 119 and my energy level is limitless…
40 Things You May Not Know About WheatGrass?
1. Wheatgrass juice is 70% chlorophyll.
2. Chlorophyll is the first product of light and contains more light energy than any other element.
3. Wheatgrass juice is a crude chlorophyll and can be taken orally and as a colon implant without toxic side effects.
4. Chlorophyll is the basis of all plant life.
5. Wheatgrass is high in oxygen like all green plants that contain chlorophyll. The brain and all body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly-oxygenated environment.
6. Chlorophyll is anti-bacterial and can be used inside and outside the body as a healer.
7. Dr. Bernard Jensen says that it only takes minutes to digest Wheatgrass juice and uses up very little body energy.
8. Science has proven that chlorophyll arrests growth and development of unfriendly bacteria.
9. Chlorophyll (wheatgrass) rebuilds the bloodstream. Studies of various animals have shown chlorophyll to be free of any toxic reaction. The red cell count was returned to normal with 4 to 5 days of the administration of chlorophyll, even in those animals which were known to be extremely anaemic or low in red cell count.
10. Farmers in the Midwest of America who have sterile cows and bulls put them on Wheatgrass to restore fertility. (The high magnesium content in chlorophyll builds enzymes that restore the sex hormones.)
11. Chlorophyll can be extracted from many plants, but Wheatgrass is superior because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man. If grown in organic soil, it absorbs 92 of the known 102 minerals from the soil.
12. Wheatgrass has what is called the grass juice factor, which has been shown to keep herbivorous animals alive indefinitely.
13. Dr. Ann Wigmore has been helping people get well from chronic disorders for 30 years using wheatgrass.
14. Liquid chlorophyll gets into the tissues, refines them, and makes them over.
15. Wheatgrass juice is a superior detoxification agent compared to carrot juice and other fruits and vegetables. Dr. Earp Thomas, associate of Ann Wigmore, says that 15 pounds of Wheatgrass is the equivalent of 350 pounds of carrots, lettuce, celery and so on.
16. Liquid chlorophyll washes drug deposits from the body.
17. Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body.
18. Chlorophyll helps purify the liver.
19. Chlorophyll improves blood sugar problems.
20. Wheatgrass juice cures acne and even removes scars after it has been ingested for seven to eight months. The diet must be improved at the same time.
21. In The American Journal of Surgery (1940), Benjamin Cruskin. M.D. recommended chlorophyll: to clear up foul-smelling odours, neutralize strep infections, heal wounds, hasten skin grafting, cure chronic sinusitis, overcome chronic inner-ear inflammation and infections, reduce varicose veins and heal leg ulcers, eliminate impetigo and other scabby eruptions, heal rectal sores, successfully treat inflammation of the uterine cervix, get rid of parasitic vaginal infections, reduce typhoid fever, and cure advanced pyorrhoea in many cases.
22. Wheatgrass juice acts as a detergent in the body and is used as a body deodorant.
23. A small amount of Wheat grass juice in the human diet prevents tooth decay.
24. Wheatgrass juice held in the mouth for 5 minutes will eliminate toothaches and poisons from gums.
25. Gargle with Wheatgrass juice for a sore throat.
26. Pyorrhoea of the mouth: lay pulp of Wheatgrass soaked in juice on diseased area in mouth or chew wheatgrass. Spit out out pulp.
27. Drink Wheatgrass juice for skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.
28. Wheatgrass juice keeps the hair from greying.
29. By taking Wheatgrass juice, one may feel a difference in strength, endurance, health, and spirituality and experience a sense of well-being.
30. Wheatgrass juice improves the digestion.
31. It is great for blood disorders of all kinds.
32. Wheatgrass juice is high in enzymes.
33. Wheatgrass juice is an excellent skin cleanser and can be absorbed through the skin for nutrition. Pour green juice over your body in a tub of warm water and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.
34. Wheatgrass implants (enemas) are great for healing and detoxifying the colon walls. The implants also heal and cleanse the internal organs. After an enema, wait 20 minutes, then implant 4-ounces of Wheat grass juice. Retain or 20 minutes.
35. Wheatgrass juice is great for constipation and keeping the bowels open. It is high in magnesium.
36. Dr. Birscher a research scientist, called chlorophyll “concentrated sun power.” He said, “Chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, the uterus and the lungs.”
37. According to Dr. Birscher, nature uses chlorophyll (wheatgrass) as a body cleanser, re-builder and neutralizer of toxins.
38. Wheatgrass juice can dissolve the scars that are formed in the lungs from breathing acid gasses. The effect of carbon monoxide is minimized since chlorophyll increases haemoglobin production.
39. Wheatgrass juice reduces high blood pressure as it enhances the capillaries.
40. Wheatgrass juice can remove heavy metals from the body.
More information on Anne Wigmore can be found at http://www.wigmore.org